April 6, 2020
AP Exam UPDATE -- Henderson County High School
AP Exams are on the minds of AP students and parents during the spring of each academic year. This year is no exception but with added questions related to the impact of COVID-19.
To support schools’ adjusted calendars and closures, the College Board has released information about changes to the 2020 AP Exams. Please use the following link to access and read about urgent AP updates, including altered exam formats, new exam schedules, how to take exams remotely from home, and free online review sessions. https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update?excmpid=ph898695
To coincide with changes by the College Board, HCHS will adapt our procedures for the 2020exams:
● Taking an AP Exam will be optional. AP teachers will be in contact with their students closer to the test dates to ask if students wish to take the exam.
● No paper-pencil tests will be administered. Students will take online (or at-home) tests during scheduled exam times. HCHS will relate more information about online testing after it is released by the College Board in late April. Video demonstrations will be provided to familiarize students with the testing system.
● Exams will be shortened from traditional formats. Each subject test will be a modified, 45-minute free-response exam. Subject-specific details will be communicated by AP teachers and are provided through the College Board link above.
● Online testing dates begin Monday, May 11 and continue through Friday, May 22. Make-up test dates for students who qualify will be available from June 1 through June 5.
● AP Exam fees: students who choose not to test will not be charged. If students have already paid, the school will issue a refund. Fees will be assessed and refunded after all online AP testing is complete in June. *Students who qualify for Free/Reduced Lunch meals will not be charged (the Kentucky Department of Education pays 2020 AP Exam fees for these students).
Though these are challenging times, AP teachers are committed to providing remote instruction and resources so students can be successful taking AP Exams. The shortened format and narrow focus on curriculum provide excellent opportunities for students to earn college credit.
The HCHS family hopes this finds you well. We will continue to share details about 2020 AP Exams as we receive updates from the College Board.
#DesignYourDestination and go Colonels!