Note - This handbook was completed in May 2016. The Henderson County Board of Education will revise the student code of conduct for the 2016-2017 school year during the summer of 2016. Please refer to the revised District student code of conduct for the most up to date information.
Common sense and decency are the basis of any good school dress code. All apparel and appearance shall meet district standards and not in any way detract from the educational process or present a safety or security problem. The following are areas of emphasis:
- Clothing designed to fit at the waist shall be worn at normal waist level (no sagging or exposing undergarments).
- Extremely tight, form-fitting or baggy clothing is prohibited.
- Shorts, skorts, and skirts that are of fingertip length may be worn by primary school students (P-3).
- For students in grades 4-12, shorts, skorts, and skirts must be a minimum of knee length.
- Clothing, jewelry, buttons, and other forms of ornamentation (including those containing slogans, endorsements or commentary) are permissible except when they make distracting noises, express violence, are obscene or suggest obscenity, suggest racial bias, nudity, advertise alcohol, drugs, or tobacco products illegal items, or suggest promotion or identification of gangs.
- All students shall wear shoes to school. House shoes are not permitted.
- No hats, caps, bandannas, head coverings, or sunglasses will be worn inside the school building, unless for religious or medical purposes.
- Heavy coats and/or long outerwear will not be worn inside the school building. Unless the Principal/designee grants an exception for a heating emergency, all heavy coats and/or long outerwear must be kept in the student’s locker or stored in the designated area in each classroom.
- Halter tops, spaghetti straps, muscle shirts, cut-off T-shirts, off-the-shoulder garments, see-through or mesh type garments, or any tops that expose cleavage or the midriff are prohibited.
- No undergarments shall be worn as outerwear. No pajamas or articles of clothing that are torn or cut shall be worn.
- Students in grades 6-12 will be allowed to bring backpacks/book bags to school. All such bags must be kept in the student’s locker during the regular school day and may not be taken to class, unless it is a clear or mesh bag approved by the Principal/designee.
- Body or tongue piercing, other than ears, or unnatural hair color including but not limited to blue, green, red, and orange are prohibited for all students.
- Visible tattoos are prohibited for students in grades P-8.
- Visible tattoos are permissible in grades 9-12 with the exception of any gang or bias related sign or symbol which reasonably appears to offend, victimize, or intimidate another based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin, and/or which disrupts or interferes with the educational setting and/or process.